LEMON YOGURT ICE CREAM
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Make about 1 quart
- Preparation Time: 3 1/2 hours
- 1 32 oz container of plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 4 large lemons)
- 1 cup of light cream
- Soak a large piece of cheesecloth or plain white paper towel in cold water. Squeeze out the water and line a colander or sieve with the wet cloth. Spoon the yogurt into the colander and set it into a large bowl to catch the liquid that drains from the yogurt. Place in the refrigerator and let drain for 2 to 3 hours. Approx. 1 1/2 cup of liquid will drain out.
- Spoon the thickened yogurt into a large mixing bowl and whisk in the sugar, and lemon juice. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the cream. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 2 hours.
- Variation: Lemon Yogurt Cookie Ice Cream. Add 1 cup crumbled oatmeal cookies to the machine when the ice cream is semi-frozen. Allow the machine to mix in the cookies. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
NotesWhen the weather starts to get nice, I get this urge to make ice cream. I found this recipe in the ULTIMATE ICE CREAM BOOK and I really enjoyed it. I thought this would be a good choice, lower in calories than most full-fat ice creams.
I omitted the 1/4 cup of candied lemon zest it called for.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More