- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, plus more melted for pan
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced very thinly (I don't actually peel them)
- 2 teas. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teas. freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped (I grate the lemon skin rather than just using zest)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center of oven. Place a baking sheet on rack bellow to catch any drips from gratin. Brush a 10-by-5 1/2-inch gratin dish with melted butter. (I don't actually have a gratin dish so I just make this in a square glass baking dish and spray it first with cooking spray)
- Cover bottom of dish with one-third of potato slices in an even layer. Sprinkle potatoes with one-third each of thyme, nutmeg, and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper, dot with little pieces of butter all around. Add a second layer, and season the same as the first layer. Top with a third layer of neatly arranged potato slices. Pour milk over potatoes (I do it until the milk is even with the top layer or slightly over). Sprinkle with remaining third of thyme, nutmeg, and lemon zest, and dot with more butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 min. Remove foil, and continue to bake for 10-20 min more, until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Serve gratin hot.
- If the top of the gratin is not golden brown but the potatoes are tender, heat the broiler. Place the gratin under the broiler for just a few seconds to brown nicely.
NotesI have made this a few times but have never actually followed the amounts or directions exactly, I just follow the basic idea and use the same ingredients and it always comes out really tasty!
Original recipe is from Martha Stewart
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More