- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the filling:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 pints (4 cups) blueberries
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 pre-baked pie crust (9-inch)
- For the topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lemon peel
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar, the lemon peel and cinnamon. Add the blueberries and lemon juice; stir to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry topping ingredients (1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. lemon peel, and 1/2 tsp. salt). Add the egg and 1 tsp. lemon juice and toss until crumbly.
- Spoon the filling into the pre-baked pie crust. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture with the crumbly topping. Drizzle the topping with the melted butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is bubbly and browned. Excellent with a scoop of lemon sorbet or, the old stand-by, vanilla ice cream.
NotesI actually found this recipe in a magazine but I made quite a few changes (the topping is different and I added a lot more lemon!)
I made it for a cooking challenge that some of us do on another site I visit - it's a bit like Iron Chef where ingredients are chosen and we have to come up with recipes to fit the ingredients. This is so sweet and delicious! I bet it would be lovely with a scoop of lemon sorbet.
Reference: The original recipe came from the August/September 2005 issue of Cooking Pleasures magazine which is published by the Cooking Club of America. www.cookingclub.com