- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 22 - 24
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryPulled from an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch.
- 1 (16-ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- Frosting (such as Creamy Lemonade Frosting; see recipe)
- Place a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Place cake mix, water and lemonade concentrate in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined. Spoon or scoop 1/3 cup batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it 3/4 of the way. Remove any empty liners.
- Bake until cupcakes are golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 20 to 22 minutes.
- Let pans cool on wire racks for 5 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edges of the cupcake liners, lift the cupcakes up from the bottoms of the cups using the end of the knife, then pick them carefully out of the cups with your fingertips. Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 15 minutes, before frosting.