Lemongrass Turkey Meatballs with Red Curry Coconut Sauce
Makes 6 to 8 Servings, or 12 to 16 balls
What You’ll Need:
1 lb. of ground turkey (I use dark meat)
¾ cup of panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of grated ginger, approximately 1 inch of ginger root
2 tablespoons of finely minced lemongrass, 1 stalk
2 limes, zested
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
¾ teaspoon of ground pepper
About ½ cup of olive oil
For the sauce:
1 can coconut milk
3 tablespoons of red curry paste (I use Masri brand)
1 small shallot, sliced or minced
What to Do:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine turkey, panko, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, lime zest, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well with your hands, making sure everything is well incorporated.
3. Shape the mixture into golf ball sized small meatballs. Place meatballs on baking sheet and put in the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
4. While the meatballs finish, place the onions in another small saucepan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Let onions soften while continuously stirring for about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and continue to stir for about 2 minutes or until the mixture becomes fragrant.
6. Add the coconut milk and stir to incorporate the curry. Season with salt and pepper to taste and let simmer and thicken for 10 minutes.
7. Serve meatballs over rice, rice noodles, or pasta with drizzled sauce and a fresh herb garnish: dress cilantro, mint, and basil with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
Pairs Well With
These Asian-inspired meatballs are a nice departure from their Italian cousins. Easy, quick, and super filling, these meatballs are a great make-ahead meal for the week. Just reheat at the end of a long day and add the luscious sauce. Another option would be to make a Bahn Mi sandwich by adding some cucumber, cilantro, basil, mint, shredded carrots, and Sriracha mayonnaise on a crusty baguette.