- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound (500 grams) ketan* (glutinous rice)
- 3 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (250 grams) shredded cooked hicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon laos*
- 1/2 teaspoon trasi* (dried shrimp paste)
- squares of banana leaves** or aluminum foil
- Soak rice overnight in water. Drain. Add 3 cups coconut milk and cook on low heat for 15 minutes or or until coconut milk has been asbsorbed and rice is well done.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and fry the garlic and onion until onion is slightly brown. Add ground spices and trasi and fry, stirring, for a minute longer, crushing the trasi with a wooden spoon. Add chicken and fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk and simmer uncovered, on low heat until well cooked and quite dry. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if neccessary. Cool.
- To make lemper: Take a large tablespoon of rice and flatten on a piece of banana leaf or aluminium foil till half inch (12 mm) thick. Put a large teaspoon of the filling in the middle. Roll up in the banana leaf and secure with a wooden toothpick. or roll in the foil to make a neat parcel. Continue the process. Heat in moderate (350ºF) oven for 15 minutes
NotesOur niece Monique asked me to make it for her and her kids next time they come over for dinner. It is fun recipe to make and taste delicious. You can either eat as a snack or as part of the dinner