- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2.5 - 3 lbs of beef tongue
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 - 14.5 can peeled or diced tomatoes
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 TB all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place the beef tongue, water, small quartered onion, and sea salt in a crock pot. Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
- Once it's done, remove the tongue from the crockpot. Strain the stock and set it aside or refrigerate it if you have time so you can easily skim the fat.
- While the tongue is still warm but not too hot to touch, peel off the outer layer of skin.
- Under that skin, there was another layer....that was......nubbly. It kinda bugged me in a way that food shouldn't bug you....so I trimmed that off too.
- Dice the tongue into 1/2" cubes and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes. Set aside
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat up the oil. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the flour and stir for another 2 minutes. Add in the pureed tomatoes and let come to a boil.
- Add the cubed tongue, 1/2 cup of the beef tongue stock, black pepper and garlic powder. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes or so. You want the sauce to be thick, not runny.
- Is great served in gorditas.
NotesThis is a wonderful recipe from Muy Bueno Cookbook. Tender, flavorful, and very easy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Recipes for Vitality
Foodie BabySee More
Curried Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Cube Steaks Paprika
Crockpot Rice Pork ChopsSee More