- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2.5 - 3 lbs of beef tongue
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 - 14.5 can peeled or diced tomatoes
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1 TB all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Place the beef tongue, water, small quartered onion, and sea salt in a crock pot. Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
- Once it's done, remove the tongue from the crockpot. Strain the stock and set it aside or refrigerate it if you have time so you can easily skim the fat.
- While the tongue is still warm but not too hot to touch, peel off the outer layer of skin.
- Under that skin, there was another layer....that was......nubbly. It kinda bugged me in a way that food shouldn't bug you....so I trimmed that off too.
- Dice the tongue into 1/2" cubes and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the tomatoes. Set aside
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat up the oil. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the flour and stir for another 2 minutes. Add in the pureed tomatoes and let come to a boil.
- Add the cubed tongue, 1/2 cup of the beef tongue stock, black pepper and garlic powder. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes or so. You want the sauce to be thick, not runny.
- Is great served in gorditas.
NotesThis is a wonderful recipe from Muy Bueno Cookbook. Tender, flavorful, and very easy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More