- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 2 carrots
- 1 large onion (or 2 small ones)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large tomato
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of Better Than Bouillon vegetable base (or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 5 oz. fresh spinach leaves
- 5 cups water
- salt, pepper, garlic salt
- Wash the lentils under water and let drain.
- Chop up the onion, garlic, celery and carrots.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot. Once it's warm, add the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Lower heat, cover and cook until the onions and garlic just start to get a bit mushy.
- Add the carrots and celery. Mix and cover again till the carrots and celery start to get a little mushy.
- Add the lentils, mix, cover and cook for several minutes. Just be careful the heat isn't too hot, because you want the lentils to get the flavor of the veggies, but you don't want to burn them.
- Add the 5 cups water and the Better Than Bouillon. Cover and bring to a boil.
- In the mean time, slice the tomatoes into chunky slices.
- Once the soup is boiling for about 10 minutes, add the tomato sauce, tomatoes and spinach. (If your sauce isn't sweet you can also add a tablespoon or two of sugar at this point)
- Mix, cover and simmer for a half hour or until the lentils are soft.
NotesOne of my favorite things to do is make lentil soup, although I don't know if soup is exactly the correct word here. See, I prefer it will more veggies and lentil and less water. Sometimes I'll make macaroni and add it to individual portions. This recipe also freezes extremely well, which makes for many, many low-cost lunches and quick dinners. And, it's not only vegetarian, but also vegan!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More