LENTIL SOUP / STEW
Lentil Soup / Stew
- 3 oz Bacon (Pancetta; American Bacon; or Hot Coppa depending on your taste; Canadian Bacon will
- not work, it’s more of a ham, what you want is enough rendered fat to sauté the vegetables.) I prefer Pancetta myself
- 1 cup Red Onion (Diced) (Although Walla Walla Sweet and Maui Sweet are nice too)
- 1 cup Celery (Diced)
- 1 cup Carrots (Diced)
- 1 cup All Purpose flour
- 2 cloves of Garlic (Minced) although paste from a jar or tube works well.
- 3 ½ quarts of Beef Stock…
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup Red or white potato (Diced)… Why Red? You need a waxy potato; Russet & Yukon have more
- starch & less water so they will absorb too much of your cooking liquid.
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- A couple of grates of Nutmeg
- 1 ½ TB kosher salt
- 2 tsp Marjoram
- 1 ½ tsp Thyme
- ¾ tsp Dill
- ½ tsp Sage
- Zest from ½ lemon
- Black Pepper to Taste
Cook bacon till crispy in the bottom of your stock pot;
Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate.
Add Onion, carrot, & celery to the bacon fat and sauté till transparent, adding garlic at the last minute to avoid burning.
Stir in flour, coating vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes.
Slowly add the stock while stirring to dissolve the flour.
Once the flour has dispersed through the stock, add the lentils and the potatoes.
Crumble your bacon
Bring to a simmer and add the Seasonings, lemon Zest and crumbled bacon
Cook at a simmer for 2 hours