- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes of chopping
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 4 1/8-inch thick slices of pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup lentils (Frency Puy lentils, or regular lentils)
- 1 14-oz can plum tomatoes, chopped or whole
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 3 14.5-oz cans of vegetable broth
- 3 cups (or one small head) of Savoy Cabbage, finely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh parsley (substitute 1 TBSP dried parsley flakes)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the pancetta in it until the fat begins to melt.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, and celery. With the heat fairly high, stir the vegetables around in the pan.
- Cook, stirring now and then, until the vegetables are a little brown around the edges (about 6 minutes).
- Next, stir in the lentils, the tomatoes (with the liquid from the can), and the pressed garlic. Stir everything together, then pour in the broth.
- As soon as the soup comes to a boil, cover and simmer, as gently as possible, until the lentils are tender (30-40 minutes).
- Add the cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes until the cabbage wilts. If using dried parsley flakes, add them with the cabbage.
- Taste and season with salt and plenty of pepper. If using fresh parsley, add it just before serving.
NotesThis soup is so wonderful: I got it from "Smartcook Collection: Soup," one of my numerous soup cookbooks. It is hearty and absolutely delicious. The pancetta is what really makes this soup shine. Great reheated for lunch or just as a comfort-food dinner on a cold night!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More