- Cooking Time: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups (8 oz) (235g) Dark Rye Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (6.7 oz) (190g) AP Flour; plus a little more for rolling
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 TB Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup (.8 oz) (25g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 (4 oz) (112g) cup Honey
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) (90g) Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 TB Whole Milk
- 3/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs; 1 TB of the white removed
- 1 oz sliced Almond
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)(GM 6).
- Whisk Rye Flour, AP Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, Sugar and Baking Soda together in a medium bowl, making a well in the center.
- In a separate small bowl combine Honey, Sour Cream, Milk and Extracts.
- Crack eggs into a tiny bowl, separating 1 TB of white from 1 of the eggs into a separate bowl.
- Beat eggs briefly with a fork and add to the Sour Cream mixture.
- Pour this Egg/Sour Cream mixture into the well you have made in the flour.
- Mix together with a fork or your finger, in a circular motion slowly incorporating more of the liquid as you mix until you have formed a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, make 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch rounds and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- With a dry pastry brush, remove any excess flour from the tops of the lepeshki.
- Whisk the reserved egg white slightly to break it up a little.
- Brush with reserved egg white onto the top of each round, then lay sliced almond across the top.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes; they will still be very light in color, but you do not want to over toast the almonds on top.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Try and wait until they are cooled before serving... I usually can't wait that long. :)
NotesAll I can tell you about these is that they are kind of a cookie, kind of a biscuit, are Russian/Polish in origin and are absolutely delicious with tea since they are not overly sweet. Don't worry about making them tough by kneading; the Rye flour cuts down the gluten significantly so they will not get tough.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
The Naked Macaron
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More