- Cooking Time: 12
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups (8 oz) (235g) Dark Rye Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (6.7 oz) (190g) AP Flour; plus a little more for rolling
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 TB Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup (.8 oz) (25g) Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 (4 oz) (112g) cup Honey
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) (90g) Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 TB Whole Milk
- 3/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Eggs; 1 TB of the white removed
- 1 oz sliced Almond
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)(GM 6).
- Whisk Rye Flour, AP Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, Sugar and Baking Soda together in a medium bowl, making a well in the center.
- In a separate small bowl combine Honey, Sour Cream, Milk and Extracts.
- Crack eggs into a tiny bowl, separating 1 TB of white from 1 of the eggs into a separate bowl.
- Beat eggs briefly with a fork and add to the Sour Cream mixture.
- Pour this Egg/Sour Cream mixture into the well you have made in the flour.
- Mix together with a fork or your finger, in a circular motion slowly incorporating more of the liquid as you mix until you have formed a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a round cutter, make 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch rounds and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- With a dry pastry brush, remove any excess flour from the tops of the lepeshki.
- Whisk the reserved egg white slightly to break it up a little.
- Brush with reserved egg white onto the top of each round, then lay sliced almond across the top.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes; they will still be very light in color, but you do not want to over toast the almonds on top.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Try and wait until they are cooled before serving... I usually can't wait that long. :)
NotesAll I can tell you about these is that they are kind of a cookie, kind of a biscuit, are Russian/Polish in origin and are absolutely delicious with tea since they are not overly sweet. Don't worry about making them tough by kneading; the Rye flour cuts down the gluten significantly so they will not get tough.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More