- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 1/2 cups - 6 servings
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs. ripe fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded, or one 35 oz. can peeled Italian tomatoes, seeded and lightly crushed, with their liquid.
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 c.)
- 1/4 c. finely shredded peeled carrots
- 1/4 c. finely chopped celery, including leaves
- 4 fresh bay leaves, or 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- Crushed hot red pepper
- Pass the tomatoes through a food mill fitted with the fine disc. Heat the oil in a 2-3 qt. nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the food-milled tomatoes and the bay leaves and bring to a boil. Season lightly with salt and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 45 minutes. Remove the Bay Leaves. Taste and season with salt and red pepper if necessary.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More