LIGHT CHICKEN BIRYANI
- Servings: 8
- 1 1/2 C jasmine rice, uncooked
- 2 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp saffron, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt (yup another one...)
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 1/2 C onion, diced
- 4 tsp hot curry powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 C plain yogurt (do not use non-fat)
- 1 C golden seedless raisins
- 1 C dry-roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro
In a rice cooker, combine jasmine rice, water, 1 tsp salt, saffron and cinnamon stick.
Cook according to rice cooker directions.
Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and saute in olive oil.
When lightly browned, remove from pan and keep warm.
Add onion, 1/2 tsp salt, hot curry powder, cardamom, ginger, garlic and serranos to pan and saute until tender. (careful of the chile fumes)
Add yogurt and whisk until well combined.
Add chicken and raisins.
Cook until heated through.
Remove cinnamon stick from rice and discard.
Stir rice into chicken mixture until well combined.
Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro.
**Note... I recommend using Full Fat Plain Yogurt in this recipe for a creamier texture.