- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 C jasmine rice, uncooked
- 2 1/4 C water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp saffron, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt (yup another one...)
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 1/2 C onion, diced
- 4 tsp hot curry powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger root, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 C plain yogurt (do not use non-fat)
- 1 C golden seedless raisins
- 1 C dry-roasted cashews, chopped
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro
- In a rice cooker, combine jasmine rice, water, 1 tsp salt, saffron and cinnamon stick.
- Cook according to rice cooker directions.
- Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and saute in olive oil.
- When lightly browned, remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add onion, 1/2 tsp salt, hot curry powder, cardamom, ginger, garlic and serranos to pan and saute until tender. (careful of the chile fumes)
- Add yogurt and whisk until well combined.
- Add chicken and raisins.
- Cook until heated through.
- Remove cinnamon stick from rice and discard.
- Stir rice into chicken mixture until well combined.
- Sprinkle with cashews and cilantro.
- **Note... I recommend using Full Fat Plain Yogurt in this recipe for a creamier texture.
NotesI made this in an effort have our family start eating healthier. I tweaked it from a Cooking Light recipe. It's so spicy and flavorful, you forget you're being good!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More