- Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Servings: 3 loafs
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices (8 oz) diced candied pineapple
- 1 lb red glace cherries
- 1 lb green glace cherries
- 2 lb light raisins
- 1 lb cut mixed peel
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 lb whole blnched almonds
- 1/2 cup brandy OR white wine
- 1 lb butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 8 eggs
- 5 cups stirred but unsifted cake flour
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. pure almond extract
- Soak the fruits and nuts in the brandy or wine overnight in a very large bowl.
- In a large beater bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light then beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Add the flour, pineapple juice and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Stir this batter into soaked fruits and mix well. (Note that there is no baking powder in this recipe).
- Prepare 3 loaf pans by lining with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Turn batter into prepared pans, pushing it into the corners and smoothing top.
- Put water pan in bottom of oven heated to 300 F. and place cakes on center rack.
- Bake at 300 F. for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 250 for 3 hours longer. Cool in pans on cake racks, then turn out and wrap in triple plastic bags and store in refrigerator or freezer.
- If you make these cakes well before Christmas you will have time once a week to unwrap and soak SPARINGLY with brandy or white wine.
- Rewrap and store.
NotesThis recipe came from an old out-of-print family favourite cookbook. "The Mary Moore Cookbook".
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More