- Cooking Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Servings: 3 loafs
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices (8 oz) diced candied pineapple
- 1 lb red glace cherries
- 1 lb green glace cherries
- 2 lb light raisins
- 1 lb cut mixed peel
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 lb whole blnched almonds
- 1/2 cup brandy OR white wine
- 1 lb butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 8 eggs
- 5 cups stirred but unsifted cake flour
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. pure almond extract
- Soak the fruits and nuts in the brandy or wine overnight in a very large bowl.
- In a large beater bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light then beat in the eggs until well blended.
- Add the flour, pineapple juice and almond extract and beat until smooth.
- Stir this batter into soaked fruits and mix well. (Note that there is no baking powder in this recipe).
- Prepare 3 loaf pans by lining with Reynolds parchment paper.
- Turn batter into prepared pans, pushing it into the corners and smoothing top.
- Put water pan in bottom of oven heated to 300 F. and place cakes on center rack.
- Bake at 300 F. for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 250 for 3 hours longer. Cool in pans on cake racks, then turn out and wrap in triple plastic bags and store in refrigerator or freezer.
- If you make these cakes well before Christmas you will have time once a week to unwrap and soak SPARINGLY with brandy or white wine.
- Rewrap and store.
NotesThis recipe came from an old out-of-print family favourite cookbook. "The Mary Moore Cookbook".