- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 30-40
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 2/3 c whole wheat or AP flour
- 1 c sugar
- 4 tsp chai masala spice mix*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- *found at international markets; the one I use contains ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves and nutmeg.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients along with pistachios.
- Add just enough water to moisten and form a sticky dough.
- Knead in bowl 7 or 8 times.
- Shape into 2 logs. each about 10 inches long and 1 inch high.
- Bake 30 minutes, until light brown.
- Cool 5 minutes and turn oven down to 325°.
- Slice logs into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices and spread apart on cookie sheet (standing up; don't lay them on their sides).
- Return to oven for 20 more minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave in oven for 10-20 more minutes or until suitably dry and crunchy.
NotesI wanted a healthy but satisfying treat to accompany my afternoon cup of tea. This crunchy, wholesome cookie packs loads of flavor without a lot of fat or sugar. You can even substitute whole wheat for some or all of the flour. I like to use whole wheat pastry flour.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More