Lighter Lasagna Primavera (Moosewood Restaurant New Classics)
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 1/2 T olive oil
2c diced onions
6 garlic cloves, minced
3c undrained canned tomates (28 oz can)
3c tomato puree (28 oz can)
1/4 c dry red wine
1/4 c chopped fresh basil
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
2t dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cake firm tofu, crumbled (12 oz)
1 3/4 c - 2c low fat cottage chz or part skim ricotta chz
1/2 c chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 t salt
1c grated low fat mozzarella cheese
1c grated parmesan cheese
1 lb fresh asparagus, rinsed, stemmed and chopped (10oz frozen asparagus, thawed and chopped)
1 lb lasagna noodles
10 sliced artichoke hearts (2 14 oz cans, drained)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Brush or spray 9x13 dish.
2. Combine oil, onions, garlic, and salt in nonreactive saucepan. Saute on medium-high heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, red wine, baisl, parsley, oregano, and bay leaves and simmer for about 10 minutes uncovered. Discard bay leaves.
3. While sauce simmers, combine crumbled tofu, cottage or ricotta cheese, basil, garlic, and salt in food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add pepper and nutmeg to taste. Transfer to large bowl and stir in 1/2 c each of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and all of chopped asparagus.
4. Spread 1 1/2 c of tomato sauce on bottom of prepared baking dish and top with single layer of raw lasagna noodles. Spread on half of tofu mix and sprinkle with 1/4 each of remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. Repeat layers of tomato sauce, noodles, and rest of tofu mix. Next evenly distribute artichoke hearts, and sprinkle on remaining cheese. Finish with layer of noodles smothered wtih tomato sauce; you may not need all of noodles. Set aside leftover sauce to pass at table.
5. Cover tightly with aluminum roil and bake 1 hour. Allow lasagna to rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Carefully remove foil and serve.