1 cup walnuts or pecans -- shelled
3 large shallots
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion -- peeled and quartered
1 stick butter -- unsalted
2 large granny Smith apple -- peeled and chopped
1 pound chicken livers
8 ounces Italian sausage -- casings removed
1/4 cup Calvados -- or applejack
8 ounces cream cheese -- room temp
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/8 tablespoon tarragon
1/8 tablespoon allspice
Note: All ingredients are processed in a Cuisinart food processor.
1. Lightly butter a 4 cup terrine mold, or bowl with plastic wrap.
2. Process nuts for 5 seconds and set aside. With the machine running, drop the shallots and garlic through the feed tube and process until finely minced. Add the onion and pulse.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium hot skillet and add the garlic and onion. Saute for a few minutes and then add the diced apple, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and mix well. Add back to the food processor.
4. Melt remaining butter and saute the livers and sausage and cook about 10 minutes until done.
5. Gently warm the Calvados in a small saucepan and when the meats are done, ignite the Calvados and pour it over them. Let cool.
6. Add to food processor and process about 30 seconds.
7. Add the cream cheese and seasonings and process until smooth. Add the nuts and pulse.
8. Place in terrine and cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Note: Will keep 3-4 days. You can shape, then garnish with nuts, tomatoes, etc. Freezes well if you need to make it ahead of time.
Pairs Well With
This is my wifes recipe for pate'. She does not like the goose liver pate but likes this fine.