- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is one of my favorite cookies. It never occurred to me I could make them at home!
This is adapted from a Southern Living Recipe.
- 1 1/4 C butter
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C almonds, toasted & finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 - 1/3 C raspberry jam
- powdered sugar
- Beat butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, almonds, cloves, cinnamon and lemon zest.
- Slowly mix with butter mixture until just blended.
- Divide dough into two equal portions and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- One dough ball will be cookie bottoms and the other will be cookie tops (and cutouts)
- Using a cutter 2.5 - 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out cookie bottoms.
- Bake cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet for approximately 15 minutes.
- For the cookie tops, use the same cutter as the bottoms, but cut a smaller shape out of the center. Your cookie frames & centers will bake a little faster than your solid cookies.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Dust the cookie tops & cutouts with powdered sugar.
- Gently warm the raspberry jam.
- Spread the warmed jam on the solid cookie bottoms.
- Top with a cookie frame and fill the cut out with more jam.
- These might sound a little complicated, but they were so easy!!