- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup canned water chestnuts, minced
- 2 slices ginger, minced
- 3-4 Shitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Chinese rice wine(or sherry)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of Rice Crispy Cereal
- 1 lb. Nappa (Chinese cabbage), chopped
- 1 - 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. Cooking oil (peanut or olive is what I prefer to use)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small package of Fen See noodles(glass noodles), soaked
- Combine the ground pork with the egg, water chestnuts, green onion, ginger, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, sugar, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix in the cornstarch and the secret ingredient: Rice Crispy cereal.
- Form the mixture into 4-6 large meatballs.
- Heat a wok or heavy frying pan over medium heat and add 4 tablespoons oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the meatballs.
- Cook until browned, turning over halfway through cooking (about 8 to 10 minutes total).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- In a separate small saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Stir in the additional soy sauce. Season with salt and/or sugar if desired. Stir in the sesame oil and add the Shitake mushrooms.
- Arrange the nappa on the bottom of the wok and add the meatballs.
- Pour the chicken broth over.
- Cover and simmer on low heat until the meatballs are tender (about 1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Add the Fen See noodles and simmer for additional 20 minutes.
- Add more chicken broth if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
NotesThis is a very traditional Shanghainese meatball and Nappa greens(Chinese cabbage) stew cooked in a sand clay pot. In this recipe the meatballs are cooked in a wok, but I prefer to cook it in my Dutch cast-iron pot. My mom has a secret ingredient that she uses in the meatballs to make it tender and very tasty...Rice Crispy Cereal. I know it sounds weird, but it really works!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More