- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 teacup of water
- olive oil (just enough to form a film on top of the water)
- vinegar (a few s)
- one level teaspoonful of salt
- 2 teacups of plain flour
- 1 teacup of self-raising flour
- a little extra flour to sprinkle on the board
- For the filling
- 2 eggs (whites and yolks)
- feta cheese
- kefalograviera cheese from Mantamados (or a Gruyere-type cheese)
- 1 very small finely-chopped onion, (or two spring onions)
- plenty of parsley
- lots of dill
- Put the water into a wide-mouthed salad bowl. Add enough olive oil to form a thin film on the surface of the water, then add the rest of the ingredients and knead. The pastry ought to be quite stiff, so if necessary add more plain flour and continue to knead the dough until it reaches the right consistency. Then put a plate over the top of the salad bowl and leave for half an hour before rolling. Roll out the dough into five medium-sized sheets or four large ones, as in the photographs.
- To prepare the filling, beat the eggs in a bowl and grate the cheese into them. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until the mixture is stiff. Roll out the pastry, divide it mentally into two halves and put teaspoonful-sized dollops of filling at intervals on one side. Moisten the pastry around each dollop of filling and fold over the other half of the pastry. Using a glass, cut the pastry into half-moon shapes, each with a dollop of filling inside, and press the edges closed firmly with the fingers.
- Put plenty of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the little cheese pies on both sides. The oil should not be too hot, so that the filling cooks through. Before serving, stand on kitchen paper to drain off the excess olive oil
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More