- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup warm whole milk
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin or winter squash
- 1/3 cup pureed vegetable mix (carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, zucchini, etc)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cultured butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- Simple syrup
- Kosher salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk, let stand 10 minutes.
- Mix in pumpkin, pureed vegetables, brown sugar, and butter.
- Mix in the flour until a kneadable dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly-floured board for 10-15 minutes.
- Let rise, covered, in an oiled bowl for about 1 hour.
- Punch down.
- Divide the dough in three, braid strands and tuck ends under.
- Place on a greased, cornmeal-dusted cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Brush bread with simple syrup and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 30 minutes, and cool completely on rack.
NotesI made this loaf as a sweet and savoury accompaniment to a soup in a jar gift I am giving to my fiance's parents. It smells wonderful fresh out of the oven, makes wonderful toast or soup dippers, and if it does go stale on you, makes a wonderful turkey stuffing bread!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 4.7 mg
Sodium: 7.5 mg
Total Carbs: 13.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 2.4 g
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More