LOBSTER MUSHROOM MACARONI AND CHEESE
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbls. fresh parsely, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices day old Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbls. melted butter
- 1/2 lb. whole wheat penne, cooked and drained
- 1/2 oz. dried lobster mushrooms
- 1/2 c. mushroom puree
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda, grated
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- hot sauce (we looove Frank's Red Hot!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a food processor, pulse Italian bread and parsley until very coarse crumbs form.
Season with salt and pepper.
Toss with melted butter and set aside.
In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add dried mushrooms and steep for 20 minutes.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
In a large, deep sauté pan, heat a little olive oil over medium high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and cook until tender.
Add mushroom puree and cook 2 minutes.
Stir in cream and milk and bring to a simmer.
Cook 25-30 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
Spoon a small amount of sauce into a small bowl.
Whisk in beaten egg slowly. Return egg mixture to the pot and remove from heat.
Stir in lobster mushrooms, pasta and cheese.
Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired.
Spoon into a 9x9 baking dish and cover with bread crumbs.
Bake for 25 minutes or until top is bubbly and browned.