- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 2 Tbls. fresh parsely, coarsely chopped
- 4 slices day old Italian bread, cut into cubes
- 2 Tbls. melted butter
- 1/2 lb. whole wheat penne, cooked and drained
- 1/2 oz. dried lobster mushrooms
- 1/2 c. mushroom puree
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup smoked Gouda, grated
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- hot sauce (we looove Frank's Red Hot!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse Italian bread and parsley until very coarse crumbs form.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss with melted butter and set aside.
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat, add dried mushrooms and steep for 20 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In a large, deep sauté pan, heat a little olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add mushroom puree and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in cream and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 25-30 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce into a small bowl.
- Whisk in beaten egg slowly. Return egg mixture to the pot and remove from heat.
- Stir in lobster mushrooms, pasta and cheese.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired.
- Spoon into a 9x9 baking dish and cover with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is bubbly and browned.
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Best of Eva's Family Recipes
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More