LONG ISLAND KIDS TUNA MAC
- Cooking Time: no cooking here!
- Servings: 6ish
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 regular pkg uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 regular cans of tuna (in water), drained
- 16 oz. Velveeta (we bought 32oz and I put a little extra in when he wasn't looking)
- 1 regular jar of real mayo, divided (don't cheat with Miracle Whip)
- 1 cup chopped celery (more or less is fine, just guesstimate)
- 1 cup chopped onion (ditto)
- salt and pepper
- Cook the macaroni to package directions and drain. Dump it in a big bowl. While the macaroni is still warm, add about a half cup of mayo and stir. Then add both cans of tuna, all the celery and onion, and some salt and pepper. Give it another good stir to incorporate everything.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. While it's cooling, cube up the Velveeta into bite size pieces. Once the pasta has cooled down, add in the Velveeta and stir again. You can also add a little more mayo if it needs it for consistency. I would recommend adding mayo a few more times as well.
- When I made it for the first time with my boyfriend, I accidentally added some of the Velveeta into the hot macaroni (thinking mac n cheese) but he jumped all over me -- apparently it was the WRONG way. We took out what we could, but when all was said and done he liked it with a little melted cheese in there, so feel free to do it that way. But Denise's method is the RIGHT way :)
NotesMy boyfriend could live on this stuff if I let him. It's his sister's recipe, who still lives in Long Island where they grew up. He built me up on how good it was before we made it - and darn it! I can't stop "testing" it to see if it's still edible! He told me that his nephew gets excited when he comes to visit them because his sister only puts in the Velveeta when he's there.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Blue Cheese And Bacon Cheese Ball
matt's base red sauceSee More