- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10
- (generous) 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- generous 1/2 cup
- superfine sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tbsp lowfat margerine
- 2/3 cup thick lowfat plain yogurt
- or blueberry flavored yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190C.
- Place 12 muffin paper liners in a muffin pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt and half the allspice into a large mixing bowl. Add 6 tablespoons of the superfine sugar and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites together.
- Add the margarine, yogurt and the vanilla extract and mix well together, then stir in the blueberries until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the flour mixture then gently stir together until just combined.
- Do not overstir the batter – it is fine for it to be a bit lumpy.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly among the paper liners ( 2/3 full )
- Mix the remaining sugar with the remaining allspice, then sprinkle the mixture over the muffins.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and serve warm, or place on a wire rack to cool.
- HINT: Raspberries do quite well in place of blueberries with this recipe.
NotesJust a great recipe a friend gave me one day for some delicious blueberry breakfast muffins that are low in fat, easy to prepare and delicious to eat!
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Vegetarian RecipesSee More
Horseradish Beef Roll-Ups
New England Pot RoastSee More