LOW-FAT RICE PUDDING
Low-Fat Rice Pudding
- Cooking Time: 35-40
- Servings: 3-4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 2.5 cups Over the Moon or Simply Smart Milk--both are 1% or fat-free but taste like real milk--regular fat-free or 1% milk WILL NOT work
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 2 egg whites (1 egg is a little richer, but not that different)
- 1/4 cup splenda brown sugar (or regular brown sugar)--do not use DiabetiSweet or Sucanat b/c they taste funny after heating
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/3 cup craisins or yellow raisins
- salt to taste
Cook rice in Over the Moon:
Bring the milk, rice and salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender. Follow rice-container directions. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Combine egg whites and Splenda brown sugar very well. Start to spoon in and stir some of the rice mixture to bring the egg temp up without getting chunks. Really blend it together.
Once about 1/2 the rice is combined with the egg/sugar, put all of that back into the saucepan, combine all, and heat on low for about 10 minutes. DO NOT BOIL.
Last step, add cinnamon and craisins
We all love rice pudding, so I wanted to find a way to make it that's healthy, but still delicious.