- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- 50g (2oz) organic coconut oil or butter (at room temperature)
- 50g (2oz) Xylitol
- 50g (2oz) organic soya flour (available from health food stores)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 50g (2oz) ground walnuts
- 50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 medium carrot (approximately 75g/3oz) peeled and finely grated
- 2 medium eggs
- For the topping choose from…
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 50g (2oz) low fat cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Xylitol
- Walnut Topping
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a miniature 10cm/4in cake tin with non-stick paper.
- 2. Cream the coconut oil or butter and xylitol together until soft and smooth.
- 3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and ground walnuts until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 4. Mix in the chopped walnuts and carrot, then stir in the eggs without beating them.
- 5. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and sprinkle the chopped walnut on top, if using. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is risen and golden. Remove from the oven and cover the top with tin foil, then bake for a further 20 minutes or until the cake cooked. (Tip: insert a skewer into the middle – if it comes out fairly clean then the cake is cooked, if it is still runny then it needs a bit longer). Allow to cool before icing with the cream cheese frosting, if using.
- 6. To make the cream cheese frosting, mix all the frosting ingredients together well. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
NotesAnother fabulous tea-time treat that you can enjoy without feeling guilty. The walnuts, carrots and eggs in this cake lower the GL score and provide plenty of varied nutrients – delicious with a cup of peppermint tea at the end of a long day. If you choose the walnut topping, this cake will keep in an airtight tin for up to 2 days. If you opt for the cream cheese frosting, cover the cake and store in the fridge for 2 days.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More