- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 15-1/2-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large saucepan combine kidney beans, great northern beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, green pepper, onion, chili powder, sugar, basil, cumin, salt, ground red pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Top each serving of chili with 1/2 cup hot cooked rice. Makes 4 servings.
- Make-Ahead Tip:Prepare chili. Transfer to refrigerator container; cover and chill up to 2 days. Reheat and top with rice.