- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound kielbasa or other smoked sausage thick links
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped collard greens, thawed and excess moisture squeezed out
- Cornbread Topping:
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Sour cream and chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the sausage into 1-inch-thick rounds, then cut each round in half.
- In an oven-proof, deep heavy skillet, saute sausage and sweet onions in the olive oil until lightly browned, stirring often. Add garlic and saute an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, chicken broth, hot sauce, and collard greens. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While sausage and peas are simmering, prepare cornbread topping. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, Cheddar cheese, and parsley until smooth.
- When sausage and black-eyed peas are done simmering, spoon cornbread batter evenly over the top in the same oven-proof deep skillet. Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes until cornbread is done and lightly browned.
- To serve, spoon out portions making sure each guest gets some of the cornbread. Top with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped parsley, if desired
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Adventures in CookingSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More