- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus extra
- for preparing the baking pan
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 1 1/4 pounds shredded extra sharp Cheddar
- cheese (preferably Vermont cheddar)
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup dry sourdough breadcrumbs
- (or other firm-textured white bread)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 grindings black pepper
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, evaporated milk, eggs, paprika, salt and white pepper. Set aside.
- Make the crumb topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Layer 1/3 of the cooked elbow macaroni in the prepared pan. Cover with 1/3 of the shredded Cheddar. Repeat the layers twice more, ending with an even layer of cheese on top. Pour the evaporated milk mixture evenly over the entire casserole. With gloved hands, press lightly on the top so the ingredients are moistened by the milk. Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil. Remove the foil and sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top. Continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 12 as a side.