- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 sheets unsalted matzo
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1
- ½ cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped or in chips
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- optional toppings:
- 1 cup almonds or another nut, toasted & chopped
- a few generous sprinklings of coarse sea salt
- oven: 350˚ pan:
- Baking sheet(s) lined very well with foil, then top the foil with parchment paper. Yes, this is necessary.
- Place the matzo along the bottom of the baking pan, breaking it up to cover the whole bottom.
- In a big, thick saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together over medium heat.
- Bring up to a boil, stirring regularly, for about three minutes, as the mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the salt & vanilla. Pour over the matzo, distributing the caramel mixture evenly and quickly.
- Move the baking sheet(s) to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, watching to make sure that the caramel doesn’t burn. (If it begins to get too dark, remove from the oven & turn down the heat to 325˚.)
- Once everything is nice and golden brown, remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the matzo with the chocolate.
- Wait a few minutes, then smooth out the now-melted chocolate with a spatula.
- As the chocolate is cooling, sprinkle with the toppings of your choice
- Let the matzo toffee cool completely before breaking into pieces and devouring it.
- If there’s any leftover, it will keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
NotesYou can also make this recipe with Saltines or another plain cracker, omitting the sea salt. You might want to double the recipe, while you’re at it—it’s incredibly simple to make and very, very satisfying.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More