- Cooking Time: About 40 minutes
- Servings: About 4 hungry people
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (8 oz) can canned tomato sauce
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (or cut sirloin into mouth-bite cubes)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- About a tablespoon or more of Adobo (if you’re unsure, keep taste testing before adding more), I’m pretty generous with it and tend to sprinkle it over the pot while I cook
- A little salt
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Fill the 8oz tomato sauce can (after it’s empty) with water, which will be poured into the pot
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- About a tablespoon of olive oil
- 8-10 olives stuffed with pimento
- About half a tablespoon of capers
- 1 bay leaf
- Drizzle the olive oil into a saucepan or pot.
- Sauté the green pepper, onion, garlic and beef cubes on medium-low heat.
- Season with Adobo to your liking, remember, you can add more later if the sauce is bland. Add some salt and oregano.
- While the beef is browning, cut the potatoes into cubes and boil in water until just tender (you can test this by pressing a cube against the side of the pot with a spoon), about 10 minutes.
- Once the beef is brown, add the tomato sauce, water, olives, capers and bay leaf.
- Add the potatoes, stir and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Do a taste test, if it’s bland, add a little more salt and adobo.
- If it’s too thick, add a little more water with the tomato can, if it’s too watery, let it simmer (remember, it’s “stewed beef” not a soup).
NotesThere are so many different ways to prepare carne guisada - and it's still debated where the dish even originated from in the first place. But this is one of my favorite latin dishes and this recipe is the way I usually make it. For more information on carne guisada (or stewed beef) check out my entry at Shibooya.com!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
GAES PTO Recipes
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More