- Cooking Time: About 40 minutes
- Servings: About 4 hungry people
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (8 oz) can canned tomato sauce
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (or cut sirloin into mouth-bite cubes)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- About a tablespoon or more of Adobo (if you’re unsure, keep taste testing before adding more), I’m pretty generous with it and tend to sprinkle it over the pot while I cook
- A little salt
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Fill the 8oz tomato sauce can (after it’s empty) with water, which will be poured into the pot
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2-3 medium potatoes
- About a tablespoon of olive oil
- 8-10 olives stuffed with pimento
- About half a tablespoon of capers
- 1 bay leaf
- Drizzle the olive oil into a saucepan or pot.
- Sauté the green pepper, onion, garlic and beef cubes on medium-low heat.
- Season with Adobo to your liking, remember, you can add more later if the sauce is bland. Add some salt and oregano.
- While the beef is browning, cut the potatoes into cubes and boil in water until just tender (you can test this by pressing a cube against the side of the pot with a spoon), about 10 minutes.
- Once the beef is brown, add the tomato sauce, water, olives, capers and bay leaf.
- Add the potatoes, stir and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Do a taste test, if it’s bland, add a little more salt and adobo.
- If it’s too thick, add a little more water with the tomato can, if it’s too watery, let it simmer (remember, it’s “stewed beef” not a soup).
NotesThere are so many different ways to prepare carne guisada - and it's still debated where the dish even originated from in the first place. But this is one of my favorite latin dishes and this recipe is the way I usually make it. For more information on carne guisada (or stewed beef) check out my entry at Shibooya.com!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More