- Cooking Time: 12 to 20
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound unsalted butter, soft and cut into one inch pieces
- 1 cup and 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup stout (such as Guinness)
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, place egg whites, with cream of tartar and 1/2 cup sugar nearby.
- Heat 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup stout in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- When sugar reaches 230F on a candy thermometer, turn mixer on medium high.
- When egg whites are frothy, add cream of tartar. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar.
- When egg whites begin to form soft peaks, turn the mixer down to medium low and begin to drizzle in the boiling sugar mixture (which should be at approximately 245-250F, firm ball stage).
- When all of the hot sugar is added, turn the mixer up to medium high and beat until the bowl is no longer warm to the touch.
- Add the butter one lump at a time and continue beating until mixture is smooth and fluffy, approximately 12-20 minutes.
- It will look rather like ricotta cheese for a while - just keep beating! Top butterbeer cake with buttercream "head".
- Keep at room temperature - do not refrigerate.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Christmas CookiesSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More