- Cooking Time: 13 - 15
- Preparation Time:
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup softened butter OR margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet choc chips OR chunks
- 1-1/2 cups dried cherries
- Additional sugar to roll dough in (about 1/4 cup)
- In a medium bow, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter,1 cups white sugar, and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, until well blended.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in 1/3 cup of the flour mixture at a time, until all is used. Scrape sides of bowl between additions.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cherries. Cover dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll chilled dough into golf-ball size balls. Roll the balls in the additional white sugar.
- Place the balls 3 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Gently press with bottom of glass to flatten. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from oven and cool cookies about 5 minutes on baking sheets, transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
NotesStudents at Defer Elementary in Gross Pointe Park voted for the name before settling on a recipe. In May (2004), Defer teachers and students voted among 12 recipes for the cookie. Each had dried cherries, a nod to the fact that Michigan produces 75 percent of the nation's tart cherries, used for pie fillings, jams and juice.
The winning recipe belonged to Robert Palmer, teacher at Defer Elementary. Almost all the ingredients for the treat, including sugar, flour, and salt, are produced in Michigan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More