MIXED BEAN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
1 tablespoon of olive oil
* 1 medium onion - chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds of mixed root vegetables
* 1 1/2 pounds of mixed vegetables
* 1 teaspoon of garlic - crushed
* 2 teaspoons of curry powder
* 1/4 cup of fresh parsley - chopped
* 2 bay leaves
* 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
* 2 small zucchini - chopped
* 1 can of red kidney beans (15 ounces) - rinsed and drained
* 1 can of black-eyed peas (15 ounces) - rinced and drained
Heat oil in a heavy stock pot or Dutch oven.
Add all the vegetables, except the zucchini, parsley and beans.
Cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the garlic, curry powder and the bay leaves and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Pour in the stock, there should be enough to cover all the vegetables.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
Remove bay leaf.
Puree about 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup in a blender.
Return puree to the pot and bring to a boil.
Then add the zucchini and parsley and continue cooking for another 3-4 four minutes.
Add salt and pepper as needed.
Good Housekeeping’s Complete book of Vegetarian Cookery
Pairs Well With
This thick, creamy winter soup cooks up in just 35 minutes and makes a hearty main course.