- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- * 1 medium onion - chopped
- * 1 1/2 pounds of mixed root vegetables
- * 1 1/2 pounds of mixed vegetables
- * 1 teaspoon of garlic - crushed
- * 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- * 1/4 cup of fresh parsley - chopped
- * 2 bay leaves
- * 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- * 2 small zucchini - chopped
- * 1 can of red kidney beans (15 ounces) - rinsed and drained
- * 1 can of black-eyed peas (15 ounces) - rinced and drained
- Heat oil in a heavy stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add all the vegetables, except the zucchini, parsley and beans.
- Cook over high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the garlic, curry powder and the bay leaves and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, there should be enough to cover all the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Puree about 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup in a blender.
- Return puree to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Then add the zucchini and parsley and continue cooking for another 3-4 four minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Adapted From:
- Good Housekeeping’s Complete book of Vegetarian Cookery
NotesThis thick, creamy winter soup cooks up in just 35 minutes and makes a hearty main course.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
50 Shades of TasteSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More