- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, (I just used ground cumin)
- 6 whole cloves, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste) I also used garam marsala and a pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground (fresh is good here too)
- I added 1 medium eggplant diced small
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick) (I left this out and used evoo)
- 1 (4-4 1/4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces (2 chicken breasts works well too I just browned it)
- chicken giblets, coarsely chopped (No giblets for me so I just used chicken broth and didn't roast the chicken just browned it in my pan)
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 11 cups chicken stock, defatted (preferably homemade, 2 quarts plus 3 cups)
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced (tart)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste) also used the rind while sauteing the veggies
- 2/3 cup whipping cream, warmed
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- lightly toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- Combine garlic and spices.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned on all sides. Add giblets and saute until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken and giblets to stockpot. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add celery, onion, carrot, leek and spice mixture and blend well.
- Add a small ladle of stock and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender. Add to chicken.
- Stir in remaining stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones. Return chicken to soup and blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes. Degrease soup if necessary.
- Stir in lemon juice, then blend in cream. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour into heated tureen and sprinkle with parsley and almonds.
NotesThis is a great version of this soup...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More