- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, (I just used ground cumin)
- 6 whole cloves, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste) I also used garam marsala and a pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground (fresh is good here too)
- I added 1 medium eggplant diced small
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick) (I left this out and used evoo)
- 1 (4-4 1/4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces (2 chicken breasts works well too I just browned it)
- chicken giblets, coarsely chopped (No giblets for me so I just used chicken broth and didn't roast the chicken just browned it in my pan)
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 11 cups chicken stock, defatted (preferably homemade, 2 quarts plus 3 cups)
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced (tart)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste) also used the rind while sauteing the veggies
- 2/3 cup whipping cream, warmed
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- lightly toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- Combine garlic and spices.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned on all sides. Add giblets and saute until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken and giblets to stockpot. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add celery, onion, carrot, leek and spice mixture and blend well.
- Add a small ladle of stock and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender. Add to chicken.
- Stir in remaining stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones. Return chicken to soup and blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes. Degrease soup if necessary.
- Stir in lemon juice, then blend in cream. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour into heated tureen and sprinkle with parsley and almonds.
NotesThis is a great version of this soup...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
Simple Homemade Favorites
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More