- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- black pepper
- 1 cup milk or soy milk
- TO SERVE:
- 1 batch croutons
- scallions or chives, minced
- Boil the potatoes and water in the small sauce pan until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Puree potatoes with remaining cooking water.
- Heat butter in large pan over medium heat, saute onions and celery for five minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, garlic, and thyme, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add sherry, soy sauce, and pepper. Puree with milk.
- Combine potato and mushroom purees and heat until very hot. (Now you can add the cheese)
- Top with croutons and scallions and serve.
NotesMUSHROOM BISQUE (similar to Panera's Portobello & Roasted Garlic Bisque)
Source: Molly Katzen's New Moosewood Cookbook
A lovely, creamy vegetarian/vegan soup which is the essence of mushrooms.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More