- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for dish
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted macadamia nuts, (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish; line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. Butter lining (not overhang); set aside. Whisk flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup nuts in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture and 1 teaspoon maple syrup. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared dish. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Bake until set in center and pale golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool slightly.
- Put remaining 6 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup nuts into a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until butter is very foamy and nuts are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, the ginger, maple sugar, corn syrup, and cream. Boil, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Spread over crust. Let cool completely. Run a knife around non-parchment sides; lift out of dish by overhang. Cut into sixteen 2-inch squares. Bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days
- Makes 16
Noteshaven't tried these yet; but they sound good to me.....not too sure about the candied ginger.
Martha Stewart Living
Layers of texture; crumbly shortbread and a chewy toffee-like topping; balance these indulgent bar cookies. Ginger adds unexpected spice.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Halloween Easy Eerie Edibles
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More