- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI like my macaroni and cheese very rich - with lots and lots of cheese (and a little heavy cream just in case....). Given this, you may want to scale back on the amount of cheese that is in this recipe.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I use extra sharp cheddar for the bulk of the cheese mixture, but I always add a bit of asiago and parmigiano reggiano to the mix.)
- 4-5 cups pasta (I like to use cavatappi or shells. I think they hold the cheese more effectively.)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Start by boiling water for the pasta. Add pasta when boiling, drain water when done and set aside.
- Sauce (takes about 20 minutes):
- Start with by making a roux. Start with about 2 tbsp butter and melt in pan on medium heat. Gradually add flour slowly while stirring. A thick ecru colored mixture will form as the flour dissolves. Continue to gradually add the last 2 tbsp of butter and flour as the mixture comes together.
- Add about half the milk and touch of cream (if desired)into the roux and stir on medium heat.
- Add half the shredded cheese mixture to the mixture and stir.
- Continue gradually adding more milk and more cheese as the entire sauce begins to dissolve and thicken.
- Add salt, pepper, and mustard powder to taste.
- Once all the ingredients are added, let the sauce reduce and thicken to the desired consistency.
- Pour pasta into a baking dish/casserole dish (13x9x2) and stir in the sauce. Mix so that pasta is covered.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.
- Turn oven up to broil.
- Take dish out of oven, add thin pats of butter to the top and place back in oven on broil for 5 minutes to get a good crust on top.
- Take out of oven, let cool for a good 15 minutes and serve.