- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I use extra sharp cheddar for the bulk of the cheese mixture, but I always add a bit of asiago and parmigiano reggiano to the mix.)
- 4-5 cups pasta (I like to use cavatappi or shells. I think they hold the cheese more effectively.)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Start by boiling water for the pasta. Add pasta when boiling, drain water when done and set aside.
- Sauce (takes about 20 minutes):
- Start with by making a roux. Start with about 2 tbsp butter and melt in pan on medium heat. Gradually add flour slowly while stirring. A thick ecru colored mixture will form as the flour dissolves. Continue to gradually add the last 2 tbsp of butter and flour as the mixture comes together.
- Add about half the milk and touch of cream (if desired)into the roux and stir on medium heat.
- Add half the shredded cheese mixture to the mixture and stir.
- Continue gradually adding more milk and more cheese as the entire sauce begins to dissolve and thicken.
- Add salt, pepper, and mustard powder to taste.
- Once all the ingredients are added, let the sauce reduce and thicken to the desired consistency.
- Pour pasta into a baking dish/casserole dish (13x9x2) and stir in the sauce. Mix so that pasta is covered.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes.
- Turn oven up to broil.
- Take dish out of oven, add thin pats of butter to the top and place back in oven on broil for 5 minutes to get a good crust on top.
- Take out of oven, let cool for a good 15 minutes and serve.
NotesI like my macaroni and cheese very rich - with lots and lots of cheese (and a little heavy cream just in case....). Given this, you may want to scale back on the amount of cheese that is in this recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
WorkingBug's Open House CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More