- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 10 to 12
- Preparation Time: 90
- 24 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup butter = 2 sticks
- 8 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 3 pounds shredded sharp Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese mix
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and use buttery cooking spray in a 19½ x 12 inch baking pan.
- Bring a large pan of unsalted water to a boil, add the macaroni and cook until tender firm (al denté). Drain and rinse in cool water.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan melt the butter over moderate high heat. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, stirring constantly for 5 minutes more or until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Place the cheese mixture in a large stainless steel bowl, then add the macaroni, and toss to coat well. Spoon into the baking pan.
- In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs with the Parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top of the macaroni mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 55 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
NotesMy wife, Kathie, first made it for our niece Monique, then I decided to make it for a men's breakfast at our church (West Valley Christian Church). Kathie didn't think mac and cheese would be a good idea for breakfast, but she was wrong this time, because it was a hit. We have made Macaroni and Three Cheeses several times for the men's breakfasts.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Jean’s Recipe File
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.See More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce