- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWhen my husband and I were first married I use to make this cake a lot. It was from one of my first cookbooks I purchased in England where we were married. The cookbook is now falling apart, but the recipes are still intact. This was one of his favorite cakes to have with tea.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- grated rind of one lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 strips of candied citron peel
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then sift in the flour.
- Fold in with the lemon rind and juice.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 6 inch round deep cake pan (9x5-inch loaf pan is fine).
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the citron peel on top and continue baking for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.