- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- grated rind of one lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 strips of candied citron peel
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then sift in the flour.
- Fold in with the lemon rind and juice.
- Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 6 inch round deep cake pan (9x5-inch loaf pan is fine).
- Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the top and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the citron peel on top and continue baking for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.
NotesWhen my husband and I were first married I use to make this cake a lot. It was from one of my first cookbooks I purchased in England where we were married. The cookbook is now falling apart, but the recipes are still intact. This was one of his favorite cakes to have with tea.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
The Social Cookbook
Christmas CookiesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More