MAFFE AUX LEGUMES ARACHID
- 1/2 lb chopped onions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 lb stew beef or lamb cut in 1 inch cubes
- 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 18 oz. cans water or beef broth
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbl coarse black pepper
- 1 tbl salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 8 cabbage wedges, cut 2 inches wide
- 2 lrg potatoes, cut in quarters
- 8 tiny white turnips (whole)
- 8 lrg sweet potatoes, cut in halves
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cup (dry) rice, prepared according to
- package directions.
In a 1 gallon Dutch oven or heavy kettle, saute the onions in the oil until the onions are soft but not brown.
Add the stew meat and saute lightly until the meat turns color but does not brown.
Add the next six ingredients(tomato paste thru thyme), cover tightly, and simmer over low heat for 1 hour until meat is nearly done.
Add the vegetables, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Combine the peanut butter and roughly 1/2 cup of the pan gravy in a bowl, making a smooth cream. Pour this mixture over the meat and vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes longer.
Place 1/2 cup cooked rice in a large soup bowl. Arrange one of each vegetable around edge of bowl.
Stir up the stew in the pot and place a ladleful of stew in the center of the bowl.