- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- 3/4 cup butter, softened *
- 1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (5 ounces Honeyville brand)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted (2 1/2 ounces Aloha Nu brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt *
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup water, optional (comments in Recipe Backstory above)
- Put all of the ingredients in a medium to large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended and creamy. If the batter is too stiff, you can beat in up to 1 cup of water to thin it a little.
- Spread in a greased 9x13" pan. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Cool completely before serving. It's probably best to store this in the refrigerator because almond flour baked goods tend to get moldy quickly at room temperature.
Notes* (see ingredients below) The recipe called for unsalted butter. Because I used salted butter I reduced the amount of salt to 1/8 teaspoon.
This recipe is from the Bob's Red Mill website and was recommended to me by someone. My batter came out extremely thick, about like cookie dough, so I added water to it 1/4 cup at a time. I ended up putting in a whole cup of water yet the batter was still very stiff. Because of the water, my cake came out very delicate and fragile. I have no idea how it would have turned out had I not added the water. I suspect it would have been very dry from the coconut flour. The original recipe calls for real sugar which would have added a lot of moisture and probably would have compensated for the coconut flour.
This cake has a very nice buttery flavor and is perfect for topping with berries. In fact, I made it to use for strawberry shortcake. The cake comes out thin but the servings are generous. I used salted butter in mine so I cut back on the added salt to 1/8 teaspoon. I think it would have been fine with 1/4 teaspoon.
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 264 Calories; 24g Fat; 6g Protein; 8.5g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 256 Calories; 24g Fat; 6g Protein; 6.5g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs