- Cooking Time: 10 minutes/batch
- Servings: 48 servings
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugars, baking soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk and applesauce (dough will be thick and moist).
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Spread with a fork to make irregular shapes.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks.
NotesEvery year as winter makes way for spring, a friend of mine, who lives in Maine, experiences a fifth season they call "mud season." I make this special treat for her as a sweet way to ride out that messy stretch. These cookies bring a smile to every face.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More