- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: As a sidedish, feeds 8+
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryI make this Macaroni every time I have a family function and everyone goes crazy for it. It's become my "famous" macaroni. Enjoy!
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan, Romano, Asiago blend. Available in most supermarkets.
- 1 box cheddar jack Cheez-It crackers (for topping)
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Start boiling the water to cook your macaroni. While you are waiting for the water to boil: Begin with a saute pan and melt 3 tbsp of butter. Once the butter is melted and producing a nutty aroma add the chopped onions.
- Once the onions are sauteed you will add the flour, a little at a time, and let cook so that the flour is completely incorporated and it doesn't have a "raw flour" flavor.
- Now that the water is boiling add the box of macaroni. You want the pasta to be a little less than al dente because it will continue to cook in the last few steps. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the pasta is cooked roll in a tea (or kitchen) towel until dry. Be careful not to crush or tear the pasta, you just want it as dry as possible.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the onion/flour mixture. Whisk and let cook off as much as possible.
- Once the chicken broth has cooked down then add your heavy cream.
- Next you will add two cups of cheddar and one cup of parm/romano/asiago mix. to the liquid to make a cream sauce. Stir until consistency is smooth and cheese is melted.
- Now, begin adding your cooked and dried macaroni a little at a time stirring to incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into a glass baking dish and top with a layer of cheddar and then a layer of parm/romano/asiatic mix.
- Final step is to crush up a few handfuls of the chez-its with either your hands or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Spread the crackers over the macaroni and bake until golden brown.