- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: As a sidedish, feeds 8+
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan, Romano, Asiago blend. Available in most supermarkets.
- 1 box cheddar jack Cheez-It crackers (for topping)
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Start boiling the water to cook your macaroni. While you are waiting for the water to boil: Begin with a saute pan and melt 3 tbsp of butter. Once the butter is melted and producing a nutty aroma add the chopped onions.
- Once the onions are sauteed you will add the flour, a little at a time, and let cook so that the flour is completely incorporated and it doesn't have a "raw flour" flavor.
- Now that the water is boiling add the box of macaroni. You want the pasta to be a little less than al dente because it will continue to cook in the last few steps. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the pasta is cooked roll in a tea (or kitchen) towel until dry. Be careful not to crush or tear the pasta, you just want it as dry as possible.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the onion/flour mixture. Whisk and let cook off as much as possible.
- Once the chicken broth has cooked down then add your heavy cream.
- Next you will add two cups of cheddar and one cup of parm/romano/asiago mix. to the liquid to make a cream sauce. Stir until consistency is smooth and cheese is melted.
- Now, begin adding your cooked and dried macaroni a little at a time stirring to incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into a glass baking dish and top with a layer of cheddar and then a layer of parm/romano/asiatic mix.
- Final step is to crush up a few handfuls of the chez-its with either your hands or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Spread the crackers over the macaroni and bake until golden brown.
NotesI make this Macaroni every time I have a family function and everyone goes crazy for it. It's become my "famous" macaroni. Enjoy!
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
DIY Tasty Gift IdeasSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More