- Cooking Time: 105
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 turkey wings (about 1 1/2 pounds, separated at the joints)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, each cut into 4 pieces
- 2 stalks celery, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 clove garlic, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (my preference is Chardonnay)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth (or two 14 1/2 ounce cans)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1. In deep 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- 2. Add turkey wings and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until golden on all sides.
- 3. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic, and cook 8-10 minutes or until turkey wings and vegetables are browned, stirring frequently.
- 4. Transfer turkey and vegetables to a large bowl.
- 5. Add wine to skillet, and stir until browned bits are loosened.
- 6. Return turkey and veggies to skillet.
- 7. Stir in broth, thyme and 3 cups water, heat to boiling over high heat.
- 8. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes.
- 9. Strain into an 8-cup measure or a large bowl; discard solids.
- 10. Let broth stand a few seconds until fat separates from meat juice.
- 11. Spoon 1/4 cup fat from broth into 2-quart saucepan; skim and discard any remaining fat.
- 12. Add flour to fat in saucepan; cook, stirring over medium heat until flour turns golden brown.
- 13. Gradually whisk in reserved broth and cook until gravy boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- 14. Pour gravy into a 2-quart container or medium bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- 15. At serving time, reheat gravy and add pan drippings (and/or cooked diced giblets) from the roast turkey if you like.
- 16. Gravy can be reheated in microwave prior to serving.
- I can't always find wings, so I use Turkey legs and works just fine!!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More