- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. cornstarch
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3 c. whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 11/2 t. vanilla extract
- 16 large vanilla wafers
- 3 large ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In the top part of a double boiler, mix 2/3 c. sugar, cornstarch, milk and salt.
- Over boiling water, cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Cover and cook on low, stirring occasionally.
- Add slowly to egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla.
- Arrange alternate layers of wafers, banana slices, and pudding in 1 1/2 quart casserole, ending with pudding.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff.
- Arrange egg white mixture on top of pudding.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
NotesMy mother had quite a sweet tooth, and banana pudding was one of her favorite desserts. I remember her making this all throughout my childhood. Yummy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More