MANGO CHICKEN CURRY
- Servings: 4
- * 3 Tbsp (or more) of vegetable oil
- * 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- * 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- * 2 garlic cloves, minced
- * 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- * 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- * 2 mangos, peeled and diced
- * 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
- * 1 1/4 cup water
- * 1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- * 1/3 cup golden raisins
- * 1/2 cup heavy cream
- * Salt and pepper
- * Cilantro for garnish
* 3 Tbsp (or more) of vegetable oil
* 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
* 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
* 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 mangos, peeled and diced
* 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or white vinegar
* 1 1/4 cup water
* 1 1/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1/3 cup golden raisins
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* Salt and pepper
* Cilantro for garnish
1 Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and another tablespoon of oil, cook for a couple more minutes. Add the curry powder and cumin, cook for a few more minutes. The spices will absorb some of the oil, so if anything begins to stick too much to the bottom of the pan, add a little more oil to the pan. Add the ginger and garlic, cook for one minute more.
2 Add the vinegar, water, and a 1/2 of the chopped mango to the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Purée the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
3 Add chicken pieces and raisins to the pan. Return to a low simmer. Cover the pan and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Chicken should be just cooked through. Use a knife to cut open the largest piece to check.
4 Add remaining mango pieces to the pan. Stir in the cream. Let cook at a very low temperature for another minute or two, uncovered. Do not let boil! Or the cream may curdle. Adjust seasonings. If a little too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If not sweet enough, you can add a dash of sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over rice. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 4.