- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis dessert comes from Hawaii, and I found this in the Ohana (family) Style Cookbook. I learned that in olden days in Hawaii any passer-by was hailed and invited to come in and eat when the people of the house ate. "Hele mai ho'omaha ko kino mai, mai kakou e'ai."- Come and rest yourself, come, come and eat.
- 2 Cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Second Layer:
- 8 Ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 Ounces Cool Whip or other non-dairy whipped topping
- 1. Mix flour with powdered sugar. Cut in butter. Press into 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cool crust.
- 2. Cream the cheese and sugar together; add vanilla extract. Fold in cool whip. Spread over cooled crust and chill until firm.
- 3. In a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Add boiling water, lemon juice and sugar. Mix well. Add mango to cooked gelatin. Chill till slightly firm. Pour over cheese layer. Refrigerate till serving.