- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c white basmati rice
- 1 c orange juice
- 1/2 c lime juice
- 4 t sugar
- 1/4 t fresh-grated nutmeg
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes
- salt to taste
- In a large bowl, stir rice in cool water; drain. Repeat several times until water is no longer cloudy. Drain rice.
- Combine rice and 3 c water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat down. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes; do not stir.
- Pour rice into a colander to drain; let stand until cool.
- Combine lime and oranges juices with sugar, nutmeg and rice.
- Peel mangoes, then cut fruit into small pieces and add to bowl of rice. Add salt to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
NotesThis recipe came from a Sunset Magazine issue in June of 1998. We have enjoyed it countless times since. There is no added oil in this salad, so it's very lean and light!