- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 (4-inch) Ramekins or small casserole dishes
- 4 to 6 slices (¾- to 1-inch thick) French bread, depending on the size of loaf
- Sliced turkey or chicken
- Sliced ham
- Cheese Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ to ¾ pound Velveeta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Prepare cheese sauce by first making a roux. Put the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat
- and stir constantly until light brown. Slowly add milk, blending in well. Reduce heat to medium-low then
- add chunks of Velveeta and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste (ham is salty so allow for
- this). You may need to thin out the sauce to “medium thickness” because the bread is supposed to absorb
- most of the liquid – you don’t want the liquid staying on top of the bread.
- 2. Spread margarine on 1 side of each slice of bread; broil that side until golden brown, turn, and toast
- other side. Fit 1 slice of toasted bread to fill bottom of each Ramekin or small casserole dish. You may
- have to use 1 and a half slices if 1 slice doesn’t fill the bottom of the dish.
- 3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 4. Thinly slice an adequate amount of meats to make a depth of about 1 inch of meat in each dish. Layer
- meats on top of bread then pour warm cheese sauce within ¼-inch of the rim; bake for about 15 minutes
- or until it starts to bubble.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More